
So I just read a book called Move a Little Lose a Lot: New NEAT Science Reveals How to Be Thinner, Happier, and Smarter by James A. Levine, MD, PhD, Mayo Clinic and Selene Yeager. I had the book checked out for the last 3 weeks, but I really didn't start reading it until 2 weeks ago. I didn't follow the "plan" that was outlined in the book. I just started doing some of the things that were suggested. But, I actually finished the book and really enjoyed it. I love how the main focus of this is to do things. This isn't like a diet. It is more about "inventing, worshiping, investing, living, loving, doing, and offering yourself." Basically, there are a lot of things that I know I should do--but it has a plan as to how I should do that. For example, it tells me to eat and eat and eat fruits and veggies. Then it tells me to move, move, move throughout the day. It explains that people who have a belief system--such as religion--and have good family and friends are happier. This isn't just about losing weight...it is about making sure that your overall lifestyle makes you happy. Which, in this rainy place I need more help with. Anyway, I have read the book and I am ready to purchase this book and actually do the 8-week program of moving, eating, serving, worshiping, setting goals, and doing. So here is a question, does anyone want to do it with me?
Just in case you are wondering...many of these things are things that I can do at work. Such as after every two hours of sitting, get up. Either walk around the office or stretch your body for a couple of minutes. Pace around the ball field while watching your kids' soccer games. If you can, walk while on the phone, reading, or watching TV. (I read 95% of this book while on a treadmill.) At one point it tells us to reach out and do a service project. Donate some of your money to a charitable or religious organization. So, this isn't stuff that we can't do in our every day life. (And in most cases we probably do most of it some time. This will just help me track what I do.)
So, does anyone want to do it with me? Some of the people that the book talks about lost 15-40 pounds over the course of a year. Other people learned how to make themselves happier. (That is the part I need while it is raining here!) But, I would love to do it with someone. I think I would be more consistent if someone else was doing it with me and we compared notes and experiences. We can get used copies of this book from amazon.com for about $10 plus shipping. (I can't keep my library copy because it has so many holds on it.) Or, there is the new version that I haven't read called Move a Little, Lose a Lot: Use NEAT Science to Burn 2,100 calories a Week at the Office, Be Smarter in as Little as 3 Hours, Reduce Fatigue by 65%, Extend Your Lifespan by 4 Years. So if we would rather read the newer one, we could do that too.

0 comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.